Sunday, October 13, 2013

More movies...


Franklyn
   Various degrees of mental illness and self delusion explored in a creative way.

Death Race 3:  Inferno
  Tough to get through, perhaps should have relied (even) more on T&A to hold our attention. Plot twists I really should have seen coming, but glad I missed them.

Side Effects
  Finally, a somewhat unpredictable move. Well acted, well written.  Not flashy, but nicely done.

League of Extraordinary Gentleman (partial)
   This was on in the Tulsa hotel room while I was researching well pumps, pv controllers, and cattle fences...  I was struck by what a great concept it was, but how poorly the whole thing turned out. I wouldn't say that any members of the cast failed in the execution of their rolls, but there seemed to be a significant lack of star power. I'm guessing the casting budget was blown on Sean Connery, leaving the rest of the cast as virtual unknowns, may I also point out, Gentlemen are not so Extraordinary with no WOMEN. There was only one female even credited in the cast, another was uncredited, the Winter Ave Zoli girl known as Lyla on SOA - ironically,  more famous now than most of the cast.  Come on, fembots, Amazons, a harem, prison slaves...

Riddick
   Being unplugged for so long I didn't realize this was out. (Remember, its been a year since I've had TV). Always liked the Riddick movies, sorry it's only a trilogy. Chronicles was the best imo, because I liked the emmersion into the necromongers (and Thandy Newton).  Good movie, true to the franchise, worth seeing.

The Internship
   I don't care who Owen Wilson and Vince Vaughn really are,  they are always the same guys in every movie. These guys are the Keanu Reeves (sp) of comedy. That said, this predictable feel good movie - actually left me feeling good. OK then.

Snake Eyes
   We all try to say that we hate Nick Cage. Then why do we always like his movies? Very cool rolls for Gary Sinise and (a personal favorite) Carla Gugino.  Old style thriller and mystery. Would have been a great noir style film.

Elysium
   Uber rich denying basic health care and "rights" to the uber poor. Pathetic attempt to push a current political agenda. I caught myself saying aloud "ugh, is this thing ever going to be over?"

No comments:

Post a Comment